Every woman needs a killer wardrobe. Racking up hangers full of trendy pieces may satisfy short-term needs, but it’s the timeless wardrobe additions that make for worthy investments. These closet staples should be of high quality fabric and construction; however, that doesn’t necessarily mean they need to be from a designer or well-known label.
As far as trends, variety is important as the colorful or patterned pieces can be filtered in each season to update your wardrobe essentials. This year, Radiant Orchid is in the spotlight, but do refrain from purchasing 50 shades of purple and narrow it down to only a few pieces in your favorite fit or style.
The challenge is to find the balance between trendy and timeless as you collect these must-have items that will become the foundation of your wardrobe. Oh, and don’t be alarmed, where just one bag won’t do or when just one pair of shoes isn’t enough, collecting a few options is perfectly fine. Let the wardrobe building begin!
%%wppa%% %%slide=27%% %%align=center%%
- The Bags. The tote, a handle bag, a crossbody, and a clutch. The structured tote is a must; add the other styles as you continue to build your collection. Lanvin’s Partition Leather Tote and Givenchy’s Antigona Envelope Clutch are a good place to start.
- The Blazer. If you can’t picture wearing it with everything, keep looking. The perfect blazer can be dressed up or down and worn year-round. J. Crew’s Schoolboy Blazer is slightly shrunken and the longer design creates a leaner, more flattering silhouette.
- Luxury Lingerie. Aside from Victoria’s Secret, Journelle.com offers a wide range of styles and designers to take your lingerie collection to the next level. The Chantelle Merci Demi Bra and Eberjey’s India Retro Bralet are our current faves.
- The Skirt. Preen by Thornton Bregazzi Everly and Stella McCartney’s over-the-knee skirts in classic styles add a feminine touch to any look.
- The Legging. Don’t get caught with your goodies on display, double check that your faves aren’t too sheer or purchase a well-made pair with a wide waistband that won’t slip. BCBG Max Azria’s Stretch Ponte Leggings are perfect.
- The Leather Jacket. A leather (or vegan leather) jacket will become your go-to for every look once you find the right one. Proenza Schouler’s Leather Biker Jacket is equal amounts edgy and tailored.
- The Pants. It’s true, French women don’t have stacks on stacks of jeans in their closets. They invest in a couple of options that fit really well. For a sustainable wardrobe, investing in a light wash, a dark wash and maybe a leather option will suffice.
- The Shoes. Spend on the staples and get everything else at Zara or H&M. Add these five picks to your footwear arsenal and you’ll be prepared for anything: Christian Louboutin’s Platform Red Sole Pump, Manolo Blahnik’s BB Pointed-Toe Pump, Givenchy’s Gold Line Sandals, Alexander Wang’s Leather Knee Boots, and Rag & Bone’s Classic Newbury Boot.
- The Fur. If real fur isn’t your thing, faux fur options are limitless and cruelty-free. Our pick: Stella McCartney’s Mohair-blend Faux Fur Coat.
- The Little
BlackDress. As cliché as it may sound, every woman really does need to own a dress that exudes elegance. This Alice & Olivia number is perfect for a night out, and with a slight footwear change, you’ve gone from evening-polished to daytime-edgy.