With summer quickly approaching, we’ve decided to round up a list of fun, casual places in New York City – complete with outside space – to sip a [much needed] cocktail.
1. The Frying Pan [Chelsea] Built in 1929, this historic lightship is docked in the Hudson River and is the ultimate “dive” bar. Booze flows freely and the light dinner menu makes for a perfect happy hour.
2. The Standard Biergarten [Meatpacking] Take in gorgeous views of the High Line while tasting the unique selection of beer offered. Complete with communal seating for 200, ping-pong tables, and a full bar, The Standard Biergarten is a NYC staple.
3. Danny & Eddie’s [UES] With a Jagermeister dispenser on the bar, a barbecue on the back patio (BYOM!), a pool table, a jukebox and plenty of folksy Irish paraphernalia hanging from the ceiling, what more could you ask for?
4. Southwest Porch [Midtown West] A fantastic new way to enjoy Bryant Park, this outdoor bar is perfect for a midday pit stop to relax and recharge. Bring your lunch, your book, your friend, or just yourself.
5. Boat Basin [UWS] Located in Riverside Park, this outdoor restaurant overlooks the Marina and the Hudson River, offering breathtaking views. Enjoy dinner on the open air patio, a BBQ Grill party underneath the limestone arches, or a drink beneath the stars.
6. The Suffolk [LES] A neighborhood bar, performance space, and mini-urban-beach all rolled into one.
7. The Bar Without A Name [Brooklyn] The real lure of this Brooklyn haunt lies at the end of the narrow bar, where stairs descend into an expansive backyard garden. Large picnic tables and a cement fire pit add to its “campy” charm.
8. The Crow’s Nest [Kips Bay] Set atop the Water Club restaurant, the Crow’s Nest has a front-row view of the East River, making it feel like the upper deck of a cruise ship.
9. Bohemian Hall & Beer Garden [Astoria] The relaxed, welcoming atmosphere is just right for winding down with friends after work or getting rowdy on the weekends. Enjoy an unpretentious, park-like atmosphere with your beer; this place was made for warm summer days.
10. The Delancey [LES] The Rooftop Garden, complete with palm trees and a fountain, is available for parties and open to guests year round. The retractable roof allows for parties rain or shine, no matter what the season.