The Bronx, home to Yankee Stadium and the Bronx Zoo, could be receiving a fashion facelift in the form of a couple of new shopping centers – a new upscale outlet mall (yet to be confirmed) may be in the works and the Mall at Bay Plaza that broke ground in May.
According to The New York Times, the Castle Hill section is rumored to be the spot of a chic new shopping center similar to the famed Woodbury Common Premium Outlets thanks to the plans of the Lightstone Group, a private real estate company based in Manhattan. Whether you’re a born and bred New Yorker, a transplant, or even a tourist, you’ve probably heard of this fashion fanatic’s dream that boasts over 220 upscale retail stores and couture labels including Jimmy Choo, Christian Dior, Burberry, Jones New York, and Versace.
With rumors of the new outlet circling, it seems as though locals and visitors alike won’t have to look far for the outlet-mall experience. Designer deals aren’t the only thing that the new Bronx-based mall would bring as it would also mean convenience-centered competition for Woodbury Common, located an undesirable 48 miles north of Midtown Manhattan.
“We welcome them. We support them. We can’t wait to have another shopping Mecca in the Bronx,” said Marlene Cintron, president of the Bronx Overall Economic Development Corp.
While the plans for the nearly 1 million-square-foot plot of property purchased this past May haven’t been disclosed, locals are hopeful of the impact the planning could have on their purchases. Additionally, Lightstone Group already has an extensive track record for developing and managing outlet malls in Orlando, Washington, San Antonio and Florida. Until future plans are revealed, the Whitestone Multiplex Cinema that currently resides in the location will remain open.
The outlet shopping center is still a mystery, but Prestige Properties recently broke ground on the Mall at Bay Plaza, a $270 million indoor shopping center. Construction on the 780,000 square-foot mall officially began in May and will feature a three-story Macy’s as an anchor and connect to an existing J.C. Penney.
What does the Mall at Bay Plaza mean for New York City?
- It will be the first enclosed anchored fashion mall in the New York City area in almost 40 years, the last being Queens Center Mall in 1973.
- New job opportunities and new tax revenue, which will help boost the economy.
- More than 2,000 construction jobs and more than 1,700 permanent jobs. (Source: AKRF Consulting)
- Construction is estimated to generate an additional $37 million in tax revenue for New York City, the MTA and the state. (Source: AKRF Consulting)
- For Macy’s, it will be their first new ground up store built in N.Y. in 15 years.
- Interest from dozens of national and regional retailers looking to expand their presence in New York City.
The Mall at Bay Plaza opening is set for late 2013 or early 2014.